Sunday, October 24, 2010

SR-71 Model Rocket

Let me start out by saying that it has been a childhood dream of mine to build the SR-71 blackbird model rocket. When I took Jacob to the store to get a replacement model rocket (we lost the last ones) they had one on sale and I jumped at the chance to get it.


It took me about 4 weeks to build the rocket and paint it. Finally it was finished, but I could not find any rocket engines. For some reason the Michaels store by us has stopped selling model rocket supplies. I finally found some engines and took the kids out for the maiden voyage.


The first launch went perfect. The rocket went up about 600ft and parachuted back down to the kids who were trying to catch it.




On the second launch, the rocket soared about 400ft up, turned sideways and started heading toward the tree line. Fortunately, the parachute came out before getting to the trees and we had another successful recovery.

The third attempt wasn't so great. The rocket again went up about 400ft and turned. It was now heading toward the nearby school building. I had the feeling that the rocket might get stuck on the roof, which of course it did.



Once again, Jacob was heart broken about loosing the rocket. I really need to get better at this. Anyway, I quickly went home, grabbed by ladder, and climbed onto the school roof to retrieve the rocket. Luckily we were out of rocket engines and called it a day. Who knows where the rocket would have gone next.

4 comments:

Laurel Baker said...

That is the COOLEST ROCKET I have ever seen!! My boys would LOVE if we did something like that with them! You are such a good dad! I am glad you were able to get it off the roof of the school!

nglemser said...

I don't know what is "cooler" the rocket or the pictures of the kids with the rocket! You are the best dad ever! How about you try that on the beach next time?

Unknown said...

Try to install an rc system in it. Then you can avoid fly aways. I would love to have a sr-71 or a X15 model rocket.

Unknown said...

Great rocket story. Thank you for sharing. I truly enjoyed flying rockets as a kid. If you have trouble finding rocket engines in the future, and you have a Hobby Lobby in your area, they sell them. Happy Flying.