Sunday, June 29, 2008

Food Storage and Emergency Preparedness

Right now I think most of us would agree that being prepared is on all of our minds. I had a very interesting talk with a friend about the fear and panic we feel. Those are obviously not righteous feelings. We are commanded to be prepared, but that doesn't mean to do more than we can or should. In Mosiah 4:27 it says "And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strenth. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order." It is important to do what we can and try our hardest to get prepared. But if we are honestly doing all we can to be prepared, then that is enough. I was thinking about all the different excuses David and I have used over the past.... We don't have enough space (when we were in a 700sq. foot home with 3 kids).... We don't have enough money (when we were going out to eat at least every other week)..... I am no good at rotating.... etc. There are so many things that can hold us back. Not that these things aren't valid, they are, it's just I think we used them sometimes as a crutch. Even in that 700sq. foot home I had space under my beds and space above my kitchen cabinets. Under the bed is not ideal, but if you remember to rotate the food that is down there it's as good a place as any. David still won't give in on the above the cabinet issue, but as long as he helps me find somewhere to keep our food I'm okay with that. :-) As far as money goes, you can't tell anyone whether or not they have enough. I figure as long as someone does something every month, even if it is only 20 bucks a month they are trying to get their food storage. They are trying to follow the counsel of the prophets. If that is all we can do, then good for us. We are trying. I think that is the biggest thing. Just trying to take the step. And the whole rotation thing..... well that one still stresses me out. We have gotten a lot of Mountain House food for our storage because it has a 30 year shelf life and rotation is so daunting to me. It is a little bit more expensive, but it just helps me out. I am so excited to keep getting prepared. Every little bit helps. I think we all need to look at the big picture and remember, there is a reason for this commandment. It is not just to make it hard for us. We would not be counseled to do something that is impossible. It might take years upon years, but all we have to do is try. We need to do our best. I know this was long and rambling, but it's been on my mind and I just wanted to share it. For those of you who are working on your food storage - which is most, if not all, of us - Way to Go!

5 comments:

Ashley said...

I cleared some room in my scrapbooking closet for food storage. I am going to start with Peanut butter, tuna, spaghetti sauce and noodles, and oats. I will need a way to make bread to enjoy some of it but hey you have to start somewhere!

Nikki said...

You and I have also talked about this particular thing. I completely agree with you.

Katy said...

We "stimulated" the economy with our stimulus check at Costco last week! So true, Sarah...even in our little apartment we forced ourselves to make room (and sacrificed some decorating pride), and it feels good to know we're doing the best we can right now. :)

Mindy said...

I totally agree. You should read President Uctdorf's First Presidency Message for July. I think you would totally appreciate it as he quotes that same scripture and reminds us to be diligent. Good advice!

Anonymous said...

mom i love you oh ya this is an apologe note i`sorry for being groppy last night. mom i love your piturs.